King Mountain Wide Open
The King Mountain Wide Open will be Fly-In week with a hike and fly race, mentoring, clinics, films and general radness held in September of 2023. More information soon!
Get a feel for the remarkable area with this short film shot by Matt Beechinor and edited by Gavin McClurg back in 2014!
- 10–17 September 2022
- Daily pre-flight briefing at headquarters local time (i.e. Mountain Standard Time, UTC-7): 09:00
- Headquarters: The event is based at King Mountain Glider Park (http://www.kingmountaingliderpark.com/) in Moore Idaho.
- Airport FAA identifier is ID36.
- Landing Zones (LZs):
- Base: 43.753262,-113.314216
- Airfield: 43.7630556,-113.3438889.
Waypoints: multiple formats (coming soon)
LODGING (discounts are being arranged):
- King Mountain Glider Park Gliderport: on-site RV/tent camping
- Moose Crossing RV Park: 3794 U.S. 93 Milepost 100, Mackay, ID 83251
- Arco Inn: 540 W Grand Ave, Arco, ID 83213
- D K Motel: 316 S Front St, Arco, ID 83213
- Lost River Motel: 405 Hwy Dr, Arco, ID 83213
- Craters of the Moon / Arco KOA Journey: 2424 3000 W, Arco, ID 83213
- White Knob Motel & RV Park: 4255 US-93, Mackay, ID 83251
- Bear Bottom Inn: 412 Spruce St, Mackay, ID 83251
- Wagon Wheel Motel & RV Park: 809 W Custer Rd, Mackay, ID 83251
- Goldbug Hot Springs in Idaho – Salmon-Challis National Forest:Salmon, ID 83467, United States
- Craters of the Moon National Monument & Preserve
- Ghost Walk Idaho Falls: 510 Park Ave, Idaho Falls, ID 83402
- Ernest Hemingway’s Ketchum, Idaho home: 400 E Canyon Run Blvd, Ketchum, ID 83340
- Challis Hot Springs
Radio frequency: 151.925 MHz (a USHPA member frequency)
Telegram Group chat: Communicate with event pilots and coordinators via the Telegram app. Telegram (https://telegram.org/) is a messaging app with a focus on speed and security, it’s super-fast, simple and free.
Cellular service available: The group chat in conjunction with XC Retrieve (or Bowerbird, this is still being considered) is used for coordinating pilot retrievals. Within the chat, follow these steps (coming soon).
Cellular service unavailable: InReach set up instructions
Nearest hospital: Lost Rivers Medical Center: 551 Highland Dr, Arco, ID 83213; telephone: +1-208-252-7654
Organizer(s): Gavin McClurg
Safety: Justin Grisham
Weather: Reavis Sutphin-Gray
Scoring: Aaron Price and/or Bill Hughes
Method: Gap 2021, FTV 25%
Track log submittal: Track logs must be submitted daily 30 minutes afte task deadline to: http://trackupload.paraglide.us/.
Oxygen supply: King Mountain peak altitude is 10,612 ft (3235 m). Top of usable lift is expected to be above 14 kFt. Oxygen refills will be available for $10/ fill. We are working on getting O2 rental units.
Time now, UTC/Zulu (based upon your device clock at page load): Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:19:04 GMT
Wind: King Mountain